HLAA Florida State Association
Sept 18, 2021
This is our first HLAA FL newsletter. Our State Board will be trying new things to keep you up to date on what is happening in the State of Florida. We hope that you are doing well. Please share with us if you have been sick with COVID-19 or know someone who has passed.
There are five Zoom meetings a month by different chapters as well as the HLA-FL State Association. Everyone is welcome to attend. We would love to see you there. The chapters hosting zoom meetings include Sun City Center, Sarasota/Manatee, Treasure Coast, and Jacksonville. We are excited Sun City Center will be hosting their first hybrid meetings on September 21, 2021. Sun City has agreed to pilot this hybrid meeting to see how in-person and information sharing via Zoom simultaneously will work. This will be great information to share with you in our next newsletter. For a list of all the Zoom meetings and its recordings, please go to our website at HLA-FL.org. Since the pandemic started, there have been over 72 virtual meetings with an average of 50 people per meeting. This is a great way for you to reconnect with your members. HLA-FL is here to help set up your Zoom meetings. Give it a try and we will even connect you with a team of valuable speakers ready to help you. HLA-FL will continue hosting its meetings via online in the future.
Once a month we host “Happy Hour” the last Friday of the month. It is a lot of FUN! Come and join US!
The COVID-19 Pandemic has been rough on HLAA Chapters and Support groups as it has on most non-profit businesses. We have had 14 HLAA chapters in the past, unfortunately we no longer have some of our groups including Lakeland Chapter, Tampa Chapter, Volusia, Orlando, and Palm Bay Support groups. If you are interested in starting a support group for your area, whether it is in person or virtual, there are people in your community that need your help, reach out to Tanya Williams at [email protected] to get started.
State of Florida
HLA-FL State Association Board is looking for Two volunteers for open positions including: Secretary and State Chapter Coordinator (SCC). If you are interested and want to learn about the duties, please contact Debbe Hagner or Tanya Williams for more information.
- Main Account – $1901.99
- Web Account $1,639.60
- Joan Andrews donation (scholarship) Approval from family for communication cards which will be $366. Should be available this week. Each of the chapter leaders will get a copy of the Communication Cards [used by Fire/EMS/Police etc. to help in times of distress or need]
- Donations are needed to maintain the Website and other projects from the members of the state. Any amount is appreciated. All executive board members are expected to submit pledge/donations by September 30, 2021. Please contact Debbe Hagner.
President report –
- Florida Coordinating Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (FCCDHH) Update
- 2 HLAA positions open- a person who interested in representing HLA-FL
- 2021 Biennial report is posted on the following website
- Virtual Walk for Hearing with Buffalo, NY walk is Sept 25, 2021
- Tanya Williams, Chairperson
- Register, walk, share your post, donation any amount Let’s do this Florida!!
Have you seen the Movie ‘Sound of Metal’? A composer with hearing loss gives his version of how he interprets this movie. It’s worth reading since he held the position of President of the Board of Directors at our national HLAA headquarters.
Another great movie called Child of Deaf Adult (CODA) with Marlee Matlin. This move is FREE and can be watched on Apple+.
Be sure to register for Sept 23 “We Hear You – Now Hear Us Documentary – Talkback with the Filmmakers – www.hearingloss.org
- HLAA 2022 June 23-25 TAMPA, FL at the FW Marriott- Volunteers needed for the Florida Welcome Team
- ALDA 2021 October 6-10 Niagara Fall, NY
If you have any questions or concern about any of these, please feel free to contact any of the following –
Debbe Hagner, [email protected]
Tanya Williams, [email protected]
Eloise Schwarz [email protected]